Home decor crafting is a great way to express your creativity and can be very therapeutic. Creating something you love for your home can bring a sense of accomplishment and pride. It also allows you to customize and personalize your space better than pre-made decor can. And you can repurpose or upcycle items you already have on hand or find affordable materials at craft stores, thrift shops, or even in nature. This makes crafting your own home decor an excellent way to save money too.
Making inexpensive homemade crafts for decorating your home on a budget can be a fulfilling and rewarding hobby that allows you to express your creativity, save money, and create a space that feels uniquely your own. In this article, we’ll show you some easy DIY crafts that will add a touch of personality to your home without breaking the bank.
One excellent cheap and easy craft for home decor is creating paper flowers. This simple craft is great for adding a pop of color to any room and is highly customizable. Here is how to do it:
- Colored tissue paper
- Floral wire
- Green floral tape
- Cut tissue paper into 8-10 layers of the same size, about 10×10 inches.
- Fold the tissue paper accordion-style with about 1-inch wide folds.
- Cut the ends of the tissue paper into a round or pointy shape.
- Tie a piece of floral wire around the center of the tissue paper, twisting it tightly to secure it in place.
- Use scissors to cut the edges of the tissue paper into a petal shape.
- Carefully separate each layer of tissue paper, pulling them upwards and fluffing them out.
- Wrap the base of the tissue paper flower with green floral tape to create a stem.
- Make as many flowers as you want and then arrange them in a vase or use them to decorate other items.
Fun Idea: Box frames are a fantastic touch to any wall in the house. Fill a couple of them with your faux flowers for a splash of color in an otherwise dull space.
Faux Fur Rug
Rugs are a tried and true classic way to add texture and personality to a room, but they can be pricey. However, faux fur rugs are a cheap and simple way to add a touch of luxury to your house. They can be a great addition to any living space. And you can choose different colors and patterns to match your color scheme. Making a faux fur rug for cheap is a great DIY project that can add a cozy touch to any room without breaking the bank. Here’s how to make them:
- Faux fur fabric (enough to cover the desired size of the rug)
- Non-slip rug pad
- Measuring tape
- Fabric glue (or hot glue gun)
- Measure the size of the rug you want. Then cut the faux fur fabric to match it.
- Place a non-slip rug pad on a flat surface and position the faux fur fabric on top. Make sure that the material is centered and aligned with the rug pad.
- Attach the edges of the fabric to the underside of the rug pad with your fabric glue. Start with one edge and work your way around the rug, pulling the fabric taut as you go.
- Trim any excess fabric from the edges of the rug.
- Allow the glue to dry completely before using the rug.
Cool Tips: To make the rug extra fluffy, brush the fur with a pet brush or a wide-toothed comb.
You can stitch several pieces of cloth together to make an even bigger rug.
For extra durability and comfort, add a backing by attaching a piece of felt or fabric to the underside of the rug pad.
Hanging Herb Garden
Hanging herb gardens can be an exciting and decorative addition to your home. This fun craft lets you have a vibrant and useful herb collection while improving the appearance of any room or outdoor space. It adds greenery and fresh herbs to your home and is very easy to do on a budget. Once you have your herbs set up and growing, you’ll have a continuous harvest of herby goodness to use in your cooking or even as a fragrant air freshener. Here’s how to make a hanging herb garden for cheap:
- A wooden pallet or a piece of wood
- Mason jars or other small containers
- Potting soil
- Herb seedlings or seeds
- Screws or hooks
- Twine or rope
- Drill or hammer and nails
- Begin by preparing your wooden pallet or piece of wood. You can paint or stain it if desired.
- Attach screws or hooks to the top of the pallet or wood board, where you will hang your herb containers from. Or you can drill holes in the wood and thread twine or rope through them to make hanging loops.
- Fill the mason jars or small containers with potting soil.
- Plant your herb seedlings or seeds in the containers, following the planting instructions for each herb.
- Hang the herb containers from the pallet or wood board using hooks, screws, or twine.
- Water your herbs regularly and watch them grow!
Handy Tips: Be sure to choose herbs that will thrive in your particular environment, such as ones that prefer full sun or partial shade.
If you don’t have access to a pallet or piece of wood, you can also hang the herb containers directly from hooks or a tension rod.
You can add labels or decorative touches to your herb garden using chalkboard paint, markers, or stickers.
If you want to take it a step further, use macramé string to hang your garden from the ceiling or wall. This is a great way to give your plants a unique look as well as a stylish addition to your home decor that’s easy and affordable.
From floral art to fur rugs and hanging herbs, these affordable craft projects are perfect for anyone who wants to add a unique and personal touch to their home décor. And they can be completed in one afternoon! For more budget home decor ideas, check out Cheap and Free Decorating Hacks. Before we close, here are a few more quick craft ideas for your home decor:
Painted Mason Jars: Paint plain mason jars with bright colors and patterns to create unique, budget-friendly vases or storage containers.
Decorative Pillows: Use fabric scraps or old clothes to create decorative pillows for your couch or bed.
Painted Picture Frames: Give plain picture frames a new look by painting them in bright colors or adding patterns.
String Art: Use nails and colorful string to create your own string art designs for a unique and inexpensive wall decoration.
Fabric Wall Hangings: Create your own wall hangings using scraps of fabric or old clothing for a bohemian touch.
Woven Baskets: Use recycled materials such as newspapers, magazines, or old fabric to create woven baskets for storage.
Embroidered Hoop Art: Use embroidery hoops and fabric to create your own embroidered wall art, showcasing your favorite quotes or designs.